With these season about over and the fans looking forward the the upcoming playoffs, it’s time to do my first top 5 rankings of the 2018 season. Enjoy….
1. Germantown Middle School (18-1) One loss on the season and that was early in the year, the Red Devils are clearly the best team in the city right now. They had 2 test last week and made A’s both times with wins over at the time #2 Bellevue and Ridgeway for the 2nd time this year to break the tie. With their side’s playoffs being at Ridgeway, I think we are looking at Germantown and them playing at least once or twice more before it’s said and done.
2. Ridgeway Middle (16-4) Don’t look at their 4 losses and conclude that they shouldn’t be here because you would be wrong in my opinion. Ridgeway has played a really tough schedule and their 3 losses have come to teams currently in my top 5 including 2 to Germantown, 1 to Lester and the other to FACS. They lost to Germantownn 43-38 in the Anti-Bullying Classic last week in a tight game but like I said up top another upcoming game could be possible should they take care of business and I suspect they will. Their big 3 will need to be their big 3 down the stretch if they want to win the city title and state sectional.
3. Lester Prep (17-2) Beat a solid Lowrance team last night and won the Area2B championship. This is the part of the season though where players make names for themselves. Who will be the player to step up outside of Chauncey Holmes and Markese Washington for them? We will see soon. Playoffs start for them on Thursday.
4. FACS (20-1) With a few more games on the schedule, they still have a little ways to go but have to go in as favorites in their league playoffs when they start at the end of January.
5. Bellevue Middle (21-1) Why did I put them here? It’s not because I don’t think this group is good or not talented enough. I looked at the teams ahead of them and I thought, all of them have beat one of the other top 5 teams. The Bobcats had a chance last week with Germantown but lost a game that came down to missed opportunities and a injury to AJ Dilworth. Good news for them, Cartier Beverly seems to be finding his stride some, moving a lot better and getting back to his old attacking ways. They will need him down the stretch as well as Dilworth back healthy which Coach Taylor expects to happen. JR Jacobs has had big games scoring this year and he will need that to continue as they get ready for what could be a 4th state sectional title in a row.