1. Bellevue Middle School (7-0) Biggest game of their season thus far is Wednesday at 4:15 at A Maceo Walker in what could be a preview of the Small School State sectional game. Omari Thomas has been huge thus far this year but they will need their big pieces to step up this week if they are to win the MLK and A Maceo will be a challenge. How will it be if they find themselves in a close game late because they haven’t been in one yet? We find out soon…
2. American Way Middle (6-0) First test was this week with White Station and at times, they dominated but had problems closing out the Spartans after being up as many as 14. They are at home vs Craigmont today at 2:30 and and now get Hickory Ridge at 4:15 at their gym on Wednesday. Will be a close game if they don’t come ready to play as Hickory Ridge is looking for the upset. That might be a game that they could lose if they are not careful.
3. Cordova Middle (6-1) Got their first loss this season against a good Snowden team this week in what should be an eye opener for them. As I’ve said, I didn’t see a unbeatable this year and it showed but let’s get it straight too, Cordova is still really good! They face White Station who they beat pretty good on Wednesday at 1:45 at Lemoyne Owen.
4. A Maceo Walker Middle (7-0) I saw one of their coaches say, we want Bellevue early, we want to play them, well, you got them. There is going to be a battle inside Thomas and Walker but the key will be guard play for A Maceo as I think Bellevue may have better guards overall but Antwan Smith will have to play huge in this game. 4:15 at their gym on Wednesday in what should be the game of the day.
5. Highland Oaks Middle (6-0) Quietly, this is a team you do not want to play. Good guards even off the bench, they get up and down and have a go to guy who can score it. They beat Snowden who gave Cordova their first loss on Saturday giving you an indication of this team and it’s talent. They have Dexter on Wednesday at 3:00 at Hickory Ridgeway.
6. Bon Lin Middle (8-0) Best team in the county and they are proving it every week.
7. White Station Middle (5-2) Lost at home to American Way but showed some resiliency coming back late to tie the game before losing in the game’s final 10 seconds. Amauri Abner as been big for them, Foreman was nice against American Way but I think for them to take that step, Aldon Applewhite has to be big time and Durias Dyer. The first game against Cordova, I think they were a little intimidated, especially with it being on the road but I think on a neutral floor, it might be a little different especially on a much bigger floor at Lemoye Owen. We will see if they grown since then or if they are the same team. I still think this team is very capable if they play well.
8. Sherwood Middle (7-0) Ridgeway at Ridgeway today, must be careful of being overconfident because they have already beaten them.
9. St George (6-1) Rodney Mason has been putting up big numbers, leading them again on Saturday with 22 pts and 16 rebounds. Next big test probably won’t come again until they hit the MAM.
10. Briarcrest Christian Middle (6-3) 3 losses, all to top 10 teams is why they are here.